'Unique and uniquely beautiful... A single map here tells us more about the world today than a dozen abstracts or scholarly tomes.'—Los Angeles Times
In a world that has been governed recently by ‘fake news’ and leaders who dismiss ‘facts’, this statistically meticulous presentation of global trends is vitally important to understand the world today, including the economic, health and geo-political reverberations of Covid-19.
Compiled by an internationally acclaimed analyst, Dan Smith OBE, the 10th edition of this ground-breaking atlas is a milestone of graphic reporting and forensic analysis. It contains over 100 maps and infographics, with explanatory texts, analyse statistical trends and the most challenging issues facing the world today.
- Around 258 million people live outside the country of their birth
- 14% of the world’s children are economically active
- Nearly 2 billion people in the world are overweight or obese
- More than 800 million people are undernourished
- By 2050 almost all seabirds will have ingested plastic
- Nearly 50% of the world’s economic output is generated in places aiming to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050
- Violence costs the world around $8.3 trillion a year – twice the amount needed to meet the UN’s development goals