'Unique and uniquely beautiful... A single map here tells us more about the world today than a dozen abstracts or scholarly tomes.'—Los Angeles Times
A groundbreaking atlas and milestone of graphic reporting, this statistically meticulous presentation of trends in maps and charts explains the most challenging issues facing the world today.
Authored by leading international peace researcher Dan Smith OBE, it has sold over 700,000 copies in different languages around the world.
With the economic, global health and geo-political reverberations of Covid-19 referenced throughout, other topics for this new 10th edition include: health • education and gender inequalities • human rights abuses • financial corruption • military might • chemical warfare • plastic waste • climate change
- Around 258 million people live outside the country of their birth
- 14% of the world’s children are economically active
- Nearly 2 billion people in the world are overweight or obese
- More than 800 million people are undernourished
- By 2050 almost all seabirds will have ingested plastic
- Nearly 50% of the world’s economic output is generated in places aiming to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050
- Violence costs the world around $8.3 trillion a year – twice the amount needed to meet the UN’s development goals