What interests us
We are looking for great stories, original voices and ideas, and excellent writing. We want to see manuscripts that will open readers’ eyes to new experiences and new ways of seeing or understanding the world.
We publish in three main areas:
Literary fiction including contemporary, historical and crime novels, and short story collections
Thank you to all those who responded to our recent call for submissions. The submissions portal is now closed while we assess the manuscripts we have received. We will re-open for fiction submissions in the spring.
Graphic novels including documentary comics, graphic reportage, fiction, memoir and life writing, graphic medicine
Before sending, please refer to the notes below about what we publish and what to send.
Narrative nonfiction including memoir and life writing
We publish a select list of literary and feminist narrative nonfiction. Our general rule, particularly when considering memoir, is that the book needs to be bigger than the author’s own story. Please don’t simply send us a proposal; we need to see a complete manuscript.
What doesn’t interest us
We do not publish in the areas below, and will not be able to respond to these submissions:
- Young adult fiction, children’s books, horror, science fiction, fantasy, plays or poetry
- Books that have been previously published or self-published (in print or as ebooks) unless you are a graphic novelist
- Books that have been or are about to be published in the USA
Myriad accepts submissions from literary agents as well as directly from authors. Before submitting a manuscript, please explore this website and read about the other books we’ve published recently to ensure that it fits with the style and themes of our list.
How to submit
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Why you think Myriad is the right publisher for the book you’re submitting
- Details of any previous publications, including online and in literary or other magazines
- Details of any competition successes
- At least two comparable titles i.e. books that have been published in the last five years that are similar in style, subject matter and/or readership
- A synopsis
- (for prose) A complete manuscript as a Word document
- (for graphic books) A sample PDF (no larger than 10MB) and a link to the complete work
We do not accept paper submissions and cannot return any material posted to us.
We try to look at every submission within a week of receipt in order to decide whether one of us should read it, or whether the author clearly hasn’t looked at what we publish.
If your submission looks interesting and you have taken the trouble to send the information we’ve asked for (above), we’ll read at least a few chapters before deciding whether or not to continue. Generally we will respond to these submissions within two months. During this time, please only get in touch if you have another offer or if you have signed up with a literary agent.
Owing to the volume of submissions we receive, we are not able to offer feedback on manuscripts if you are unsuccessful.