We are delighted to announce the long list for the 2018 Myriad First Graphic Novel Competition:
- Rima Sabina Aouf YUGO
- Panos Baras ONE PAIR OF SHOES
- Cathy Brett WHO KILLED JO-JO
- Hari Conner FINDING HOME
- Julienne Durber SMOKE
- Shaun Gardiner THE BOY WITH NAILS FOR EYES
- Shey Hargreaves & Charli Vince OPEN DAY
- Sally-Anne Hickman BLACK DIAMONDS AND BLUE SCARS
- Sabba Khan PLURALISM
- Kim L Pace NUCLEAR FAMILY
- Clarrie Pope & Blanche Pope WELCOME HOME
- Jane Porter THE GHOST CARP
- Jenny Robins BISCUITS (ASSORTED)
- Gemma Sheldrake THE CRAVING SEA
- Jeeti Singh I’LL BE FINE
- Zara Slattery COMA COMIC
- The Surreal McCoy THE WOLF OF BAGHDAD
- Anna Trench EZRA STONELEIGH
- Alexandria Turner THE BOOK OF RODGER
- Sarah Ushurhe PERSEVERE
- Ethan Wiltshire I NEVER KNEW YOU
The shortlist will be decided in early May, and the winner revealed at an event in June.
About the First Graphic Novel Competition 2018
Entries were welcomed from all cartoonists, and writers and artists working as a team, who are resident in the UK and who have not previously had a full-length graphic work published. The deadline for entry was 28 February 2018. Authors were asked to submit 15-30 pages from a narrative work in progress – nonfiction or fiction.
The winner will have the opportunity to develop their work with Myriad’s creative and editorial team, with a view to future publication. The work is chosen on the strength and promise of the art and writing.
- Kate Evans, cartoonist, author of Threads, Red Rosa, and The Food of Love and Bump
- Wei Ming Kam, writer, sales and marketing at Oberon Books, co-founder of BAME In Publishing
- Corinne Pearlman, Creative Director, Myriad Editions
- Martin Rowson, cartoonist, illustrator, author of the new graphic novel adaptation of The Communist Manifesto
- Sarah Shaffi, freelance books journalist, reviewer for Stylist, co-founder of BAME In Publishing, and previously online editor and producer for The Bookseller
The two previous competitions have provided a unique opportunity for creators to see their debut graphic novel in print, furthering Myriad’s mission to encourage and nurture new talent, and to provide opportunities for established artists who have not previously embarked upon a full-length work. This is the third time Myriad has run the First Graphic Novel competition. Myriad has published the winners of the two previous competitions – Gareth Brookes (2012) and Jade Sarson (2014) – and four of the shortlisted authors: Henny Beaumont, Hannah Eaton, Paula Knight, and Ian Williams, as well as work by other creators introduced to Myriad through the competition.
Information about the two previous competitions can be found here.
The 2018 Myriad First Graphic Novel Competition is supported by the Lakes International Comic Art Festival, and by Hodge Jones and Allen, solicitors.