The First Drafts competition is open to all writers who have neither published or self-published a collection of stories or a novel.
Please send by post submissions of up to 5,000 words of a work in progess (novel or short story collection) in any genre, together with:
(a) a one-page synopsis of your complete novel or short story collection
(b) a covering letter including your name, address, email address and contact number
(c) a cheque for £10 (made payable to Myriad Editions) or a PayPal receipt (pay via email address firstname.lastname@example.org) to:
First Drafts Competition
Myriad Editions c/o The New Internationalist, The Old Music Hall, 106-108 Cowley Rd, Oxford OX4 1JE
To ensure anonymous judging, please include your name and contact details only in your cover letter, and not on the pages of the work itself.
We regret that we are unable to return submitted material.
The closing date is Friday 30th June 2017. The shortlist will be announced in September 2017 and the winner in November 2017.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. The competition is open to writers over 18, of any nationality.
2. All writers who have not yet published or self-published a collection of stories or a novel may enter.
3. Submissions must be in English and no longer than 5,000 words.
4. Entries must be double or 1.5 spaced (synopses may be single-spaced).
5. Please include the title and page numbers as headers or footers on every page; do not include your name on these pages but only on your covering letter (see above).
6. Entries must not have been submitted to any other competition.
7. Only one entry per person is allowed.
8. Entries must be received by 12 noon Friday 30th June 2017.
9. An entry fee of £10 is payable by cheque or PayPal: info@ myriadeditions.com
10. The judges’ decision is final. No discussion concerning the judges’ decision will be entered into.
11. The competition is not open to previous winners of the competition, nor to employees of Myriad or West Dean College or New Internationalist.
12. The week’s writing retreat must be taken up within one year of the announcement of the winner, to be arranged with West Dean College, subject to availability.
13. Shortlisted authors will be notified by email in September 2017 and the winner will announced in November 2017.
14. The prize cannot be exchanged.
15. Failure to meet the conditions of entry will mean that a submission is automatically disqualified from the competition.