An invaluable feminist resource and example of cutting-edge data visualization, this beautifully designed new edition of Seager’s award-winning atlas matches the mood of the moment with bold, vivid infographics to illustrate the status of women worldwide and the diversity of their experiences.
‘When is an atlas a page-turner? When it makes the female half of the world visible in reliable statistics and glorious graphics. Nobody should be without this book.’ Gloria Steinem
Joni Seager’s visually stunning survey of up-to-the-minute global data redefines what is meant by an atlas. Comprehensive and accessible, her incisive prose combined with the creative use of illustration, charts and infographics portray as never before how women are living across continents and cultures—the advances that have been made and the distances still to be travelled.
The result is the most up-to-date global analysis of key issues facing women today: gender equality, literacy and information technology, feminism, the culture of beauty, work and the global economy, changing households, domestic violence, LGBTQ rights, government and power, motherhood, and more.
- 520 million women can’t read this
- In 2018 Iceland was the first country to make the Gender Pay Gap illegal
- 58% of young adults newly infected with HIV are women
- In the last three years, four countries have removed criminal laws against gays and lesbians: Mozambique, Seychelles, Nauru and Belize
- 40% of women in South Africa will be raped
- Feminist ‘right to pee’ movements are challenging the lack of public toilets for women in many countries
- A woman is murdered by her intimate partner every 3 days in France and Japan, and every 30 hours in Argentina
- The rate of breast cancer in North America is almost double that of Africa
- In 2008 Rwanda was the first country to elect a majority-women government (56%)
- Maternal mortality is decreasing in most developed countries except in the USA where it’s increasing, especially for Black women
- At current rates, boys and girls around the world