An invaluable feminist resource, hip cultural conversation about feminism, and example of cutting-edge data visualization, this beautifully designed new edition of Seager’s award-winning atlas matches the mood of the moment with bold, vivid infographics to illustrate the status of women worldwide and the diversity of their experiences.
‘A life-saver and page-turner… This will add to everyone’s knowledge and power. Nobody should be without this book.’ Gloria Steinem
Joni Seager’s visually stunning survey of up-to-the-minute global data redefines what is meant by an atlas. Comprehensive and accessible, her incisive prose combined with the creative use of illustration, charts and infographics portray as never before how women are living across continents and cultures—the advances that have been made and the distances still to be travelled.
The result is the most up-to-date global analysis of key issues facing women today: gender equality, literacy and information technology, feminism, the culture of beauty, work and the global economy, changing households, domestic violence, LGBTQ rights, government and power, motherhood, and more.
- In 2018 Iceland was the first country to make the Gender Pay Gap illegal
- 58% of young adults newly infected with HIV are women
- In the last three years, four countries have removed criminal laws against gays and lesbians: Mozambique, Seychelles, Nauru and Belize
- 40% of women in South Africa will be raped in their lifetime
- Feminist ‘right to pee’ movements are challenging the lack of public toilets for women in many countries
- A woman is murdered by her intimate partner every 3 days in France and Japan, and every 30 hours in Argentina
- In 2008 Rwanda was the first country to elect a majority-women government (56%)
- The rate of breast cancer in North America is almost double that of Africa
- At current rates, boys and girls around the world will have equal access to education by about 2030
- Maternal mortality is decreasing in most developed countries except in the USA where it’s increasing, especially for Black women
- 520 million women can’t read this
A sneak peek inside Joni Seager's groundbreaking The Women's Atlas.'A life-saver and page-turner!’ Gloria SteinemExclusively available pre-publication in @The Ethical Shop for £11.99 (RRP £14.99). Buy now: https://ethicalshop.org/the-women-s-atlas-by-joni-seager-pb.html
Posted by The Ethical Shop on Monday, September 3, 2018